Dave Lee Travis re-arrested over sexual offence allegations in Savile abuse scandal
DJ Dave Lee Travis has been re-arrested over further allegations of sexual offences.
The 67-year-old was originally arrested by Operation Yewtree detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal in November.
He answered bail on Monday and was re-arrested in connection with further allegations made to officers working on Operation Yewtree.
At the time of his first arrest, Lee Travis denied any wrong-doing and stressed that the allegations against him had nothing to do with children.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The news comes the day after a report revealed the alleged sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile in an Exeter hospital could have been stopped.
The report states that numerous police failings left Jimmy Savile free to sexually abuse hundreds of young people over five decades – when he could have been stopped in the 1960s.
A document published in January this year provided fresh allegations that Savile sexually abused one person in the Exeter Hospital (part of Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital NHS Foundation Trust) in 1970.
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said at the time: “There are five incidents regarding historic sexual abuse allegations made against Jimmy Savile reported in the Devon and Cornwall Police force area.
“We are investigating the offences and are in regular contact with officers from Operation Yewtree. In Devon & Cornwall, investigations are being led by our child exploitation team.
“The victims are receiving ongoing support.”
The 61-page report raised fresh concerns about information sharing in the police and warned that officers could fail to prevent a Savile-like scandal happening again.
The inspectorate described a "cultural mistrust" of evidence from children, adding:
"The findings in this report are of deep concern, and clearly there were mistakes in how the police handled the allegations made against Savile during his lifetime," said Drusilla Sharpling of HMIC.
"However, an equally profound problem is that victims felt unable to come forward and report crimes of sexual abuse."
According to HMIC five allegations of sexual assault were recorded against Savile in his lifetime, – compared with the 600 made since October last year when the Metropolitan police launched its Operation Yewtree investigation.
In 1963, a Cheshire man was told by a police officer to "forget about it" and "move on" when he reported an allegation of rape by Savile, according to HMIC.
The sexual abuse allegations in an Exeter hospital led to The Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust releasing the following statement:
'NHS organisations in Devon have recently been made aware of this allegation dating back to 1970 and will continue to liaise with the Metropolitan Police in the event that any new evidence emerges.'