Family of seven taken to hospital suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning in Ottery St Mary
A family of seven from Ottery St Mary were taken to hospital suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning today.
Two parents and five children, the oldest of which is 12, were evacuated from their home on Hill view in Ottery St Mary at 7:12am this morning.
The family called the service after suffering head aches in the the early hours of this morning. Luckily a carbon monoxide alarm was at the property which alerted the family to the problem.
Appliances from Ottery St Mary and Middlemoor were mobilised to the incident.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Upon arrival crew confirmed the family had been evacuated and were being taken to hospital.
Crews obtained a reading which was found to be higher then the safe level.
A gas engineer was also in attendance as the cause of the poisoning in believed to be due to a faulty gas appliance.
The incident has occurred just over a week after a family of three died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a Cornwall caravan park
Carbon Monixide Safety Tips:
CARBON monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and poisonous gas.
It is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels including gas, oil, wood and coal.
In most cases of accidental poisonings, victims do not realise carbon monoxide is being produced or building up in air they are breathing.
Tips to stay safe:
Buy a carbon monoxide detector. Place it in your home (refer to manufacturer's guidelines), test it regularly and keep the sensor free from dust and well maintained. You can also buy a portable detector to take on holiday.
Have your appliances properly installed and regularly serviced by Gas Safe professionals.
Sweep chimneys and flues regularly.
Don't block vents – make sure your home is ventilated.
When removing hot ashes from an open fire at the end of the day, ensure they are removed to fresh air in a metal bucket and extinguished properly in a safe environment.