Firefighters rescue two from Exeter house fire
City residents were last night rescued by firefighters after thick smoke filled a property in Mount Pleasant Road.
Crews from Exeter's Middlemoor and Danes Castle fire stations attended the incident, which happened at around 5pm.
Two residents from the terraced building, which contains flats, were led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
Three residents were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
A senior fire officer at the scene told the Echo there could have been more "severe injuries" had the incident happened during the night.
Officer in charge Lee Blackburn, of Danes Castle fire station, said: "The fire alarm did its job and most people responded to it but if it had been in the middle of the night, we would be looking at quite severe injuries and it would have been a different story.
"The smoke was very thick and we had to lead two to safety."
The cause of the fire is believed to have been an electrical fault. Western Power also attended the incident.