Hero pulled baby from house blaze in Exeter
AN Exeter police officer risked his life to save a baby boy from a city house fire.
The officer was first on the scene when fire broke out in a ground floor flat at Elmside, Mount Pleasant.
Two women outside the house were screaming that the child was still inside, and the officer braved thick smoke to enter the house and bring the boy to safety.
Exeter fire crews quickly doused the fire, thought to have been started by a candle, and the child was taken to the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital with smoke inhalation.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Watch commander Sean Faulkener, who led the city's Green watch at the incident, said: "The police were there when we arrived and there were two women hysterical outside.
"The police officer went in and managed to grab the baby, and as he came out the paramedics were on hand to take the child from him and then to hospital.
"The alarm was raised by a smoke alarm and that probably saved the child's life."
He added: "It was a bedroom fire which appears to have been started by a tea light candle. We would urge all people using tea lights or any open flame to be especially careful.
"There will be an inspection, but the cause of the fire was accidental."
A police spokesman said: "When officers arrived, the mother was screaming for help. They went into the property to find the one-year-old baby in a smoke-filled room."
The spokesman said the baby was in "good condition".