Police rescue baby from building fire in Mount Pleasant, Exeter
A hero police officer rescued a baby from a house fire started by a tealight in Mount Pleasant, Exeter last night.
The fire service were called to reports of a property fire in Elmside where there were still people within at 23:19. On arrival, crews found there to be a fire on the ground floor.
On arrival emergency services found two women, described as 'hysterical', standing in the street outside the property.
One baby was rescued from the house by police officers before the fire service arrived.
Unit 30, Dinan Way Trading Estate, Exmouth, Devon, EX8 4RS, United Kingdom.
Terms: voucher can not be used with any other vouchers/offers on at the time .
Contact: 01395 200611
Valid until: Saturday, May 25 2013
A Devon dog handler was one of the first on the scene and described 'brave colleagues coming out of the smoke with a baby!' tweeting:
Quiet night for Logan, but handler arrived at a house fire , to be met by one of his brave colleagues coming out of the smoke with a baby !
— Devon Dog Handlers (@alicruwys) March 12, 2013
The 12-month-old baby was taken to the Royal Devon and Exeter hospital and treated for breathing in smoke.
All other persons were accounted for.
One fire appliance from Danes Castle and one from Middlemoor attended the incident.
Crews extinguished the fire using two breathing apparatus wearers and one hose reel jet.
The cause of the fire has been described as ‘accidental’.