Fire at historic country house near Exeter
Four fire engines were called to reports of a fire at Ugbrooke Park, Chudleigh, yesterday afternoon.
But after the first crew arrived at the 900-year-old mansion just after 4pm it was apparent the fire was not severe and the other engines were stood down.
An aerial ladder platform was requested instead from Torquay to help access the chimney where the blaze was located.
A Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service spokesman said: "Four fire appliances from Newton Abbot, Bovey Tracey and Teignmouth stations were mobilised along with the water carrier from Torquay to a report of a fire at a property.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"When the first crews booked in attendance they confirmed a chimney fire at the property, and stood all other appliances down. They did however request the aerial ladder platform from Torquay to assist with access to the chimney.
"Crews used chimney gear and the hydraulic platform to extinguish the fire."
The house and gardens, which have a history dating back 900 years and are featured in the Domesday Book, are currently closed to the public for the winter season.